Almost 100 years ago, on February 15, 1924, some radio enthusiasts gathered in Falun and formed the Falu Radio Club. It was a listening association, but as there was not much to hear with crystal receivers, the idea came to broadcast themselves. Technically knowledgeable was engineer Ove Mogensen with the call sign SMZO. He started with a single-tube self-oscillating transmitter, the Philips Z1 with 440 V anode voltage and T-antenna 30 m long and 9 m high in the spring of 1924 with a range of 9 km. Falu Radio Club received its license on August 8, 1924 with the call SMZK and fairly immediately started test transmissions on 381 m with higher power and a higher antenna. The program consisted of religious services, talks and entertainment. Inauguration of the station was in October 1924, they broadcast a total of 202 hours during the year.
A studio was built and the possibility of programs via the phone network came quickly. Mention can be made of the first live broadcast of the Vasaloppet back in 1925 with Sven Jerring at the microphone in the belfry in Mora. The station in Falun was improved. Programs became more and more from Radiotjänst until a new station site was built on Tunaslätten in 1939. The 50 m high masts and 2 kW transmitter in Falun were finally demolished in the spring of 1942.
During the war there was no amateur activity. After the war, the interest of the amateurs in town awoke and they met at Hammar's patisserie together with Ove Mogensen. Despite suggestions, the club had not been shut down during the war, even though the broadcast radio operations were completely taken over by Radiotjänst. Since then, the business has been exclusively amateur radio. In the autumn of 1949, the club had 23 members with Ove as chairman. After Ove's death in 1962, Gunnar SM4GL held the club until 1986, after which the chairmanship has varied. After over 100 members in the 80s, there are now close to 80. The club has held courses in radio-related subjects, they have arranged the SSA annual meeting on several occasions, organized fox hunting championships, summer camps etc. Camps have been arranged in Dala-Storsund, Transtrand and in recent years in the area of Dådran.
During the anniversary year, some activities are planned in addition to the usual ones. We have the call sign SK100FRK throughout the year, which will be used extensively on both shortwave and VHF. We will have a commemorative version of the classic copper coin miniature.